Sunday, January 16, 2005

Apology, Worms, and Bottles

My number one New Year’s resolution was to be good to my body. I found that a kinder way to phrase “lose weight.” So, in an attempt to integrate exercise into my everyday (instead of separating an “exercise” time from a “living the rest of my life” time), I rode my bike to the garden on Saturday. I live at the top of one hill in Tallahasse, and WeMoon is at the top of another. That is to say that I arrived huffing and puffing, 20 minutes late, and with a heart rate that took twice that long to return to “resting.” I offer this by way of apology. If anyone came at 10 to an empty garden, you probably passed me swearing and pushing my bike up Mahan; I’m so sorry I missed you.

I finally found the family of squirmy culprits who had been eating holes in the collard leaves. Surprisingly, even though there was weird web-stuff around them, and they had goopy brown stuff on their heads (or rear ends? ew), I was not so completely grossed out. I saw them rather as a sign that this was a real garden, complete with resident pests. I did not have the heart or stomach to kill them, so I just cut of the leaf that they were living on and carried it over to a wildish spot on the edge of the property. That may have been a poor gardening decision, but I’m hoping it was good gardening karma.

We buried the last of the bottles this week! Next week, we’ll be breaking ground again on a new bed, tentatively reserved for bulbs and tubers. Bring your shovels and gloves!