Tuesday, December 14, 2004

This week in the garden

This past Saturday, while looking forward to the Living Feast, I enjoyed the prospect of a feast from the garden. The spinach had just peeked out of the ground. The lettuce was still hiding, but the peas were up. (I think that pea sprouts are the most beautiful green I've ever seen.) Some of the new beets had come up, but none of the new chard. Several of the collards were doing well, but a few had been worm-eaten. And the irises (or lilies? we're not sure...), although not edible, were looking beautiful.

I hope to do more planting this weekend -- sweet peas can go into the ground now, and we'll probably see about some more vegetables. And, as always, weeding, watering, and burrying of bottles! Our first real frost of the season is supposed to hit tonight. I hope the plantlets are feeling sturdy...