Saturday, February 18, 2006

Queen Compost has Moved

Today was one of those rare and wonderful days when I convinced my husband to come to the garden with me. This allowed me to 1) move about the property freely and quickly, without having to carry the baby in the clunky carrier, and 2) act like I was talking to an actual person, even though we both knew I was talking to myself. (The imporant thing is to fool the passers-by, not the spouse.) So I managed to accomplish a whole heck of a lot.

First, I moved most of the compost pile from next to the site of the new shed to the area next to the arches and behind where we keep the terra cotta pots. It's more visible there, but since compost is the queen of the organic garden, I thought our modest little pile deserved to be noticed.

Next, I put up pot poles. I stuck pieces of ribar into the ground, then slid three to five one-hole-on-the-bottom pots onto these poles, angled so that they rested on the lip of the one below and an oppostie angle. This is so hard to describe; maybe I'll get a picture next week to be able and show you. What these are good for are herbs that don't like much moisture. The pots, being clay, breathe and dry out faster than the ground. So thymes, oregano, marjoram, and other Mediterranean natives that we struggle to grow often do well in these little get ups. They're not planted up yet. All in due time.

Last, I planned. I walked around. I sat down. I pondered. I moved plants around mentally. I thought about WeMoon as a whole, and what changes could be made in the garden to improve her.

No wildlife sightings to report. Except for the colony (colony!!) of roaches and the ant egg beds that I found in two of the pots that I disturbed.

P.S. Special thanks to Paty and Bonnie for spreading the big mulch on the main path, and for showing us how and when to harvest collards and mustard greens! And a big hug and thank you to Lydia, who has been our Wednesday gardener for almost a month now, and who we hope to be seeing much more of at WeMoon.