Saturday, February 04, 2006

Whoops

I don't know why I didn't consult The Old Farmer's Almanac before planting today. I just got all excited that so many of the sprouts had gotten their true leaves. And some of the lettuces were busting out of the bottom of their trays! So I rushed to the garden to get them in the ground. And it's going to freeze tonight. And it's a waxing moon, and I can't remember if that's the best or the worst time to plant. But anyway, carrots, beets, kale, lettuce, and a few more collards got planted. We'll see if they're there in the morning.

Oh, and I bought a few plant tags, little cheapy ones, to mark the different beds with. Only I needed something to hang them on. (Like I said, the cheapy ones, not the pretty brass stick-in-the-ground kind.) So I went to the thrift store and bought some tchotchkies -- a tall silver fork, a little brass tree, an imitation Lladro girl with outstretched arms -- and placed them among the new plantings. They look a little silly now, since there are no plants around them, but they'll look cute soon enough. And while I was buying them, I also bought tickets for the Women Rock! festival at Spanish Moss Farm on March 18. WeMoon is a sponsor!