Saturday, January 07, 2006

We're back!

Woohoo! The baby's been born, he's been assimilated into our life, and the garden again has a resident writer.

Our winter planting was a little slow getting started, but even so we have a good showing of greens -- collard and mustard, a nice double row of garlic, one swiss chard plant and some companions in the seed stage, and several pot marigolds about to pop their heads above the soil. The parsley, too, is healthy as can be, and the other herbs, sage, rosemary, comfrey, garlic chives, catnip, rue, and wormwood, are weathering the winter beautifully. So the garden looks patchy, but it's far from dormant.

And today I planted a paperwhite that I stole from the backyard of my rented house. I feel a little weird about that. But I don't think karma extends to transplanting.

Seed catalogues are out!! Anyone else giddy with delight?