Saturday, June 11, 2005

Tomatoes lost

Things didn't go exactly as planned in the garden this week.

I was not as attendant as I might have been, and when I went to check on things between rain showers today, I found that nearly 70% of our tomato crop was ravaged by worms or had fallen to the soggy ground beneath it to be ravaged by slugs. I was able to gather a small basket full to bring to the taste tests tomorrow, but I was disappointed that I had not been more vigilant in this most crucial stage.

The force of the rains had beat down many of the other plants, but to others, it was exactly what they needed. The butterfly bush, sages, impatients, nasturtiums, and marigolds all shone, and the ginger lily that was one of the very first things planted in the garden has finally made its appearance in the full moon bed.