Monday, June 06, 2005

Gardens on Display

How pleased was I this Saturday to learn that Spiraling Heart Coven is going to be using WeMoon's spaces (including the Spirit Gardens!!) for an open-to-the-public Litha ritual on June 18! I feel like the space has been aching for magic, and while women (and maybe even men) may come by other times and bless the gardens with their own presence and meditations, I actually KNOW about this one! So we're doing our best to make the garden walker-friendly. And in preparation of having more visitors, we've added a guest book to the garden's webpage in the hopes that y'all will tell us what the garden means to you!

The poison ivy is gone, and many of the plants that had kind of leaned over into the path are tied back up or pruned back. The tomatoes are being brave in the face of an onslaught of worms and caterpillars -- thanks to Paty and Bonnie for donating the organic pesticide and fertiliser. We have small zinnias coming up in the crescent moon bed as well as a few daisies, and the watermelon that we planted in the middle of the spiral seems to be quite happy. Anna planted two pretty little moonflowers on either side of the great hoop -- we're hoping to be able to train it to spiral around and climb the sides. How pretty that would be!

I am learning a lot about limitations in the garden. I find that I get tired and hungry and thirsty after just an hour of work -- it is a good reminder to eat a hearty breakfast, bring a water bottle, wear a sunhat, and take breaks! I am used to being a work horse, and this ebb and flow of vitality is totally new to me. It is a realization that I, like every other living thing, have rhythms that are best not to ignore.